Brands Billiani srl
The Billiani company was founded in 1911 to produce chairs in curved wood with caning. The family-run factory was located in the heart of what was to become the chair district after World War II: the brothers Ottone, Orlando, Lino and Bruno Billiani were the protagonists of the business, during the years of the economic boom. In 1986 a third generation entered the firm, and Billiani became synonymous with seating for large orders, especially in foreign projects.
Towards the end of the 1990s Luigi Billiani, named after his grandfather and trained as an architect, decided to bring design into the company’s repertoire, and together with his wife Veronik Romanutti he created Billiani as it is today.
The debut at the Salone del Mobile in Milan in 2002, featured a provocative stand under the banner of design: it was designed by Marco Ferreri, also the creator of a chair in the running for the Compasso d’Oro award. While the bond with tradition was ensured by the projects of the master Werther Toffoloni, the collaboration with Emilio Nanni opened up a new era: colorful, pop, carefree. The list of creations expanded, and some of the items found their way into museums, from the MoMA in New York to the Milan Triennale.
In 2019 Cristina Celestino, an architect and designer based in Milan, was appointed as the company’s artistic director. The chair is still a central focus, as is the material: wood, the true leitmotif of the collection.
Via della Roggia, 28
33044 Manzano (UD), Italy